Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Apr 2010 19:17:17 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire recommends for 15" rims for 2 wheel drive '91 Westy
Comments: To: gneiss9 <gneiss9@GMAIL.COM>

The Michilin Agilles 205/65 R 15C ... love them on my Adventurewagon. A summer and rain tire for sure ... but an incredible strong, stiff sidewall. awesome tire and just right size in my opion. Can't recommend them highly enough practically.

I agree on the hydroedge, though I gaterh those do all right generally( VERY smooth rolling ...just drove on a new set recently ) .. but maybe not fully up to vanaogn spec.

The other tire I would be interested in ... though is better saved for winter use I think is the Nokian Hakkapalita. Any excuse to get those for winter use/ extended gravel road etc... I'd want a set of those for sure.

For pavement 3 season and wet pavement ...the Agilles. 205/65 R 15C is a 'perfect' size.

when I put Agilles in this size on 15 inch SA steel rims... all of suden the front HD shocks seemed to be really working . they felt 'very ordinary' with 14 inch tires.

15 inch is a very strandared size all-around good wheel size. Lots of cap cars run black steel wheels, with high performance tires on 15 inch wheels. Stock Cars might still run on 15 inch wheels.

16's are fine too, but 15 is what Vanagons should have had, and what they use in South Africa on their Vanagons. it's 'just right' for vanagons. if you have a spare tire clam shell for vans that had 205/70 R 14 tires ... like Carats and US model syncro's ..at least the later ones , that clam shell holds a 205/65 R 15C .

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "gneiss9" <gneiss9@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:47 PM Subject: Tire recommends for 15" rims for 2 wheel drive '91 Westy