Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Apr 2010 07:30:48 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      weekend trip in syncro

My son and I threw a bunch of stuff in the syncro Saturday and headed off to find the last of the snow here on southern vancouver island. Initially planed on finding a logging spur from the road from Shawnigan Lake to Port Renfrew, but I had somehow forgot the old spectacular bridge on that route had burned, and the road was gated about 8 km west of Shawnigan lk.

I hate the relatively recent practice of gating logging roads, trenching unused spurs and taking out unused bridges. There was I time where you could drive to the most spectacular areas on the island. Now its only trail bike and ATVs (mullets still popular in those crowds) that can get past the barriers.

Anyhow, we ended up going up to Cowichan and driving south west on the "new" Cayacuse-Port Renfrew road. I say new because its now paved! About half way, we found an ungated logging spur road, so we had a look. Road went through active logging site (second growth cut, trees about 2ft diameter and under). It was the usual logging road, sharp crushed rock, plenty of big puddles, fairly steep in places. The road had some drainage trenches on the steep sections. These trenches cut across the road, and where about 3 ft wide and up to about 1 ft deep. I had to slow down and go into g-gear, ease in and out. Funny thing was, pulling out of those ditches the front wheels felt like they were getting power. I swear I could feel the wheels spin and grab. This was exciting as my VC is no longer working!

The road continued on past the active site and into uncut forest and then into snow and up, at least 20 degrees. In some parts melt water had cut through the snow exposing the road bed (like a stream bottom), so I could pull the diff lock switch, get wheel on one side on the exposed rock, and make up it up the hill (during this it seemed front wheels were not doing much, ah well, back to normal!) to an exposed level spot where we camped. Was about 1.5 ft of snow, couple of inches of new stuff on a very crusty layer, and below that granular stuff.

Next day we continued on to Port Renfrew, stopping here and there to look at the various creeks/rivers. Just before Port Renfrew, we stopped at the famous "Harris Creek Spruce". Its a giant Sitka Spruce that has become (rightfully) a "thing to see". The base of the tree looks to be wider than the van is long.

Then Port Renfrew, the Pacific Ocean and blue sky, back around the southern tip of the island and home.

Van had no mechanical issues, ran fine. We were bumping it hard on the logging roads. I was excited for a while thinking the VC had decided to work again (don't laugh, I have heard of that happening from a reliable source). I swear the front wheels were grabbing when we were climbing out of the ditches, but then later on, with rear wheels spinning in snow, fronts were doing nothing...

alistair '86 syncro 7 passenger '82 westy, diesel converted to gas in '94 http://www.members.shaw.ca/albell/ http://shufti.wordpress.com