Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:04:12 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Backup Lights Always On, Stiff Shifter. "Selector shaft,
              modifications" P 35.60a
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

figured you were aware of the 'switch depth' factor ... just wanted to make sure. I think I would just disconnect the wires to the switch for now, and keep sorting throug on shifting and if the trans is any good.

Or take that whole assembly off and see if I learned anything by doing that. the only back-up light switch problems I've had are it's in too far, or not enough, or the switch was bad. I had one ....just an intermittant swtich ...new switch fixed it ...though that was intermittant for not working , rather than on all the time. I'd just remove it, plug it into the wires, operate it by hand and see what I thought.

once you get through that- good trans and linkage ....then work on the back-up lights...

and I 'wouldn't think' the back-up lights being stuck on indicates a transmission problem ..though that's smart of you to consider...that that may be due to something not right inside the trans.

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil n" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 2:03 PM Subject: Re: Backup Lights Always On, Stiff Shifter. "Selector shaft, modifications" P 35.60a

Thank you Scott. Saw your other post too.

So if switch screws too far into cover, it pushes up against selector shaft causing switch to stay closed?

Funny that it tested ok when transmission on the bench.

I wrote:

>> Or, is there >> something inside the cover containing the back up light switch that if >> broken, would make shifter sluggish?

I guess I should have posted that question more intelligibly.

If a reverse switch fails, can it can fall apart leaving bits and pieces of itself inside the "cover", which in turn cause problems to the selector shaft?

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > it's normal to have to add or remove the washer/s that affects how deep > the > switch screws in. > > 'sometimes' it's a matter of switch depth. Be sure to consider that. > >