Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:19:59 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: WBX Transmission: Failing 3-4 Hub Feels Like?
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

I'll have to say a 2WD Vanagon transaxle is one of the sweetest, easiest transmissions there is to remove and replace in the car world.. doesn't get much sweeter than that.

like on a front engine rear drive car, you're messing with the shift linkage in the console area ..nothing like that in a vanagon. two bolts on the side of the trans, the likage is off. What could be sweeter ?

a good selection of tools helps ..nothing fancy either. Hard flat floor, Good soid jack stands, and a floor jack and a botlte jack, and a 4 X 4 and some chain or heavy rope. And a few hand tools. The trans sits nicely on a floor jack ........nicely shapped and baanced for that. It's easy to support the engine from above in a vanagon. Really ....it's not bad at all, unless you are dealing with stuck/rusted stuff, or stripped out CV joint screws or whatever .. R & R ing a 2WD vanagon transaxle is about as sweet as it gets in the car world for changing a trans. If you get things supported and balanced right ...there's no struggle, no brute strength or cursing needed or anything like that.

Really........they don't get easier or sweeter to R & R than it is in a 2WD vanagon.

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil n" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 2:35 PM Subject: Re: WBX Transmission: Failing 3-4 Hub Feels Like?