Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:55:30 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Backup Lights Always On, Stiff Shifter. "Selector shaft,
              modifications" P 35.60a
Comments: To: Ed McLean <email99@bellsouth.net>

Thanks Ed. Excellent info. When I rule out the linkage for sure, I'll check those parts out.

Odd that with transmission on the bench, the switch tested on/off ok with my VOM. But maybe things were intermittent at that point. May just be my poor luck that when installed, the "Stop Cap" finally gave up. But maybe switch itself is issue and linkage still not quite right. Can't really see it being the linkage though as the H seems normal and it stays in each gear etc.

It's weird though. The shifter seems to go from feeling slightly better to slightly not better w/o anything but me going through the gears. Like something goes out of adjustment, but nothing, (i.e. like splined bit on linkage rods) has changed.

FWIW, my reverse lights are on in any gear or neutral.

Thanks,

Neil.

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Ed McLean <email99@bellsouth.net> wrote: > A very likely problem is the "Stop Cap" (020 301 266) on the selector shaft > is broken and flopping around.  This is the bearing for the left end of the > selector shaft and is the specific part of the selector shaft on Bentley page > 35.60a that the "Selector Shaft" pointer line touches.  When this breaks, > the shaft flops around and the eccentric sleeve on the end of the shaft that > presses the reverse light switch cannot operate the switch properly. > Shifting problems result and the reverse light comes on at inappropriate > times.  In the case with my transmission, the reverse lights came on when > shifting between first and second gears. > > You can take the "locking cover" (see "cover" on diagram on Bentley 35.60a) > off and feel the "stop cap" move around if it is broken.  When the cover is > off you will also be able to tell if the switch has come apart like Scott > mentioned. > > Although the"Stop Cap" is listed as a separate part, it cannot be replaced > because the eccentric sleeve cannot be easily removed and replaced without > damage.  I purchased an entire used selector shaft from Daryl at AA > Transaxle and had it fixed in under an hour.  If you take the "gearshift > lever" (251 711 221 F) and the "locking cover" (091 301 232 A) off the > selector shaft will slide out and you can slide the replacement in with no > problem.  These part numbers are for a '86 transmission.  Your numbers may vary. > > Ed >

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines