Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Apr 2010 15:10:13 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: New fuel pump and filter - still noisy!
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>

Sure seems to me like it would be worth investing 30 minutes to run the van off a can of gas, so the main fuel tank is not in the picture ... as a test to get an idea if that's the case.( restricted fuel pick-up in tank causing the noisy fuel pump )

doesn't cost much,, doesn't take long, might reveal very useful information. Like, what's not to like about that ??!!

supposing it makes no difference..it's still noisy running off a can of gas ( this is basic what I call 'substitute and bypass' diagnostic strategy - you take the main tank out of the picture to see if that eliminates the noise ) ...........

supposing it doesn't make any difference - still noisy. then at least you can say 'it's probably not the tank, therefore the tank is probably not trying to clog at the fuel pick-up , therefore I'm probably safe to go on my trip, as far as the fuel tank is concerned.'

seems totally logical in my mind ! I recommend a ratio of time/energy invested in diagnosis versus energy invested in pursing 'a part' of about 90/10. Maybe 80/20 ....but quite often it's not 'a part', and it's something dirty, clogged, corroded , etc. And many of those things respond to cleaning, lubing, treating etc.

and may The Vanagon Gods smile on all your vanagons !

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "The Bus Depot" <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 2:51 PM Subject: Re: New fuel pump and filter - still noisy!