Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Apr 2010 17:16:40 -0500
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Now Preventative Maintenance, Was Do U carry spare ECU?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Yep, I mixed both up. The last car I worked on with a AFM was my brother's VW and it's been a while. All of my Mercedes gassers were D-Jtronics or CIS systems. The BMWs I worked on were all hot wire systems.

Tom www.kegkits.com

re would think the same logic would apply to the vanagon ECU? But instead of replacing you would take a peek to see how far the carbon was worn? Then repair if necessary?

I've been waiting to see if someone is going to catch this. the poster talks like the ECU has a sweeper arm in it. It doesn't of course ...the Air Flow Meter has a sweeper arm, and checking that once in a while can't hurt I suppose.

probably just a slip of the word in the mind. I'm sure the difference between ECU and AFM is well understood on this list !

< I got a gorgeous light blue Diesel Mercedes Benz that way once. Chain got too long, guy put in a new vacuum pump, it ate that right away, cam timing jumped on the loose chain. Still turned over too, just wouldn't run. But ... unlike a diesel Vanagon it didn't eat the head. Sure valves hit pistons. The 3 cam towers ( 4 cylinder 240D) just snapped off... a clever intentional weak link by MBZ ? .....maybe, maybe. when I took the head ( cast iron ) to the machine ship they said 'oh, just a valve job' and it'll be fine. ( had to get cam towers of course ) The same failure in a VW is terminal to the head at least .

re Would you wait until your oil failed before replacing it? Or would you wait until all of the corrosion inhibitors were used up in your coolant before replacing it? :"I wouldn't but this seems to be how we maintain vehicles in this country."

many people do for sure, but not anyone that follows this list I don't think !

left over from the old days ...when you COULD tell a car needed attention because it didn't run as nicely as usual -That's not the case anymore with self-tuning modern cars. So thinking 'she's running as nicely as ever' means that it's not due for anything is.............well 'not advised.'

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Hargrave" <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:48 AM Subject: Re: Now Preventative Maintenance, Was Do U carry spare ECU?

The study is absolutely correct. But my "generic" PM list includes service items and vehicle specific items with known failure rates. For example, the vacuum pump on a late 80's Mercedes diesel engine is known to disintegrate somewhere after 160,000 miles, taking the IP timer & sometimes the rest of the engine with it. The problem is a roller bearing fails suddenly and you know only when it's too late, sending hard metal parts into the engine. So I replaced it at 150K miles even though the one I took off "looked fine".

I would think the same logic would apply to the vanagon ECU? But instead of replacing you would take a peek to see how far the carbon was worn? Then repair if necessary?