Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:37:52 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: ECU fixed! was: spare ECU?
Comments: To: miguel pacheco <mundopacheco@gmail.com>

Yes, for the resistor legs I used a solder sucker to clean out the old solder and then added fresh. For the transistors I just added some.

I have another bad ECU of the same version, Bosch 022, and I just re-did the same solder stuff on it but it made no difference. I wasn't surprised as there was some evidence of overheating on one of the circuit traces andit didn't cycle the fuel pump on power up so I knew it likely had a deeper problem.

Mark

miguel pacheco wrote: > Mark, did you vaccum out the old solder? I'm curious because I have a > small stack of ECUs in the gai-rage. > Miguel > > On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 2:11 PM, mark drillock<mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: >> So, my friend dropped by this morning with his bad ECU. I plugged it >> into my 87, sure enough fuel pump cycled with key on, fast cranking but >> would not start. He picked up a spare from me and left. I took the case >> off the ECU for a look. I could see some heat damaged solder joints >> where a big resistor was soldered into the main board. With my ohm meter >> I determined that the resistor fed the big transistor that runs the fuel >> injectors. I added new solder to the 2 resistor legs and took the ECU >> out to the van for a test, with the case still off. The van fired right up! >> ................ >>