Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Apr 2010 01:49:41 -0500
From:         Mike South <msouth@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      It's Phinally Phriedae,
              and Drug prohibition created the drug lords. (was (ironically)
              Re: HIJACKED - update)
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

The subject says it all. If you (you collectively/rhetorically, like "one", not singling anyone out) are one of the people that thinks we need to do a better job of cracking down on drug production and use, you are one of the people that is creating the problems Mexico is facing now. There's just no way to avoid responsibility--you _are_ who's doing that to Mexico.

It's not hard to grow marijuana. There's no reason for it to be expensive. Make it illegal, and, therefore, (artificially) scarce--the price goes up, and the invisible hand of the market grabs every nearby person of questionable ethics that would like to get rich quick and shoves them into that space.

You think you're doing a good thing by "taking drugs off the streets". The drugs are still there, and instead of removin drugs, you've added thugs. It would be some amiable pothead or spaced out Timothy Leary disciple selling or sharing, and what you have instead is a completely morality-free, violent-as-he-needs-to-be person who can make a killing if he can get enough kids hooked, because you provided him an incentive to do so.

Keeping drugs illegal is not a conservative position, if by conservative you mean respectful of the Constitution. It is not a compassionate position, if by compassionate you mean actually helping people. It is a position of people who either ignorantly or deliberately believe it is ok to force their will on other people who have done nothing to them.

A plant grows in the ground. You take a gun, put it to another man's head, and say "smoke that and I'll lock you up". How hard is it to see the abject immorality of that position? Seriously.

Yours in raving libertarianism,

mike

PS No, I'm not a user, nor do I even use alcohol or tobacco. I just know where my rights end and yours begin.