Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:28:27 -0700
From:         Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Phrydae Question: Anyone Know Stephen's Auto Haus?
Comments: To: "Peter T. Owsianowski" <pnoceanwesty@gmail.com>

dear reputation checker

i have had dealings with Stephen's Auto Haus

i purchased my latest vanagon in chico california from an owner whose only act of preservation was to park it under cover ... mostly ... all maintenance was performed by a mechanic ... same one for the life of the van .... but that was the only other consistency offered to the vehicle ... so ... while doing many needed repairs to the vehicle before driving north to canada ... i found i required the yellow O ring that goes on the pipe running from the starboard head aft to the thermostat housing port side aft... there were none but aftermarket pieces available in chico ... aftermarket O rings are totally inadequate unless one is the most skilled of mechanics ... A GROUP WHICH I DO NOT FIT INTO ... so ..i believe it was Peter DiFalco (whose driveway i was working in) who mentioned stepans to me ... it might have been mike the subby conversion installer in chico ... (both vanagon gerry list members) anyway i called asking if they had this O ring ..and then i drove down on the thursday morning to pick it up ... it cost about 1$ and change ... then mike came over to peters house and helped me install the pipe without further incident ... friday afternoon i left chico ... Sunday morning got north to stmarys oregon and the motor died ... in a puff of steam ... sigh ... towed to portland (Ya BCAA Premium) ... monday morning as i was heading back from halseys auto with the new hose that i thought would repair my engine issue my phone rang ... it was stephan .. he simply wanted to know how i was getting along ... did the O ring work correctly as designed and was i on my way ... I was stunned ... i had purchased a part worth less than 3$ and he was using his valuable time to do follow-up ... when i questioned him about why he would take the time to make this call he responded with an even more stunning revelation about his self ... he said ... Vanagon owners ... well we are a community and we have to look out for one another and be concerned with one another ... (small paraphrase on my part ) wow i was amazed indeed ... but wait .. there's more ... the news on my vanagon was not good ... the reportedly new engine had not blown a hose but had bent a few rods and etc etc etc ... halseys said it was up to me how i wanted to proceed but i would certainly require a new engine of some sort ... i asked halseys if i got an engine would he put it in and how long would that take ... he told me and i called stephans .. knowing they do conversions and may-well have an engine sitting to the side ... he said he had two ... one still in the van he wanted to drive the donor van a little then he would decide which to sell me based on his opinion as to which was best ... i rented a truck in portland and drove down to sacremento ... stephan had the motor at the door waiting for me when i got there ... his shop is clean and well appointed his work seems to be well thought-out ... he is still offering personal touch service ... (same thing at halseys in portland) stephan has knowledgeable person running his front service counter ... she can look up parts with dexterity ... and skill ... and fill your order by seeking answers from you using her own experianced sense of vanagon knowledge

while there getting the motor i saw a van with tags from hawaii ... i asked if that van was sent all the way from there and stephan leaned in close and whispered ... "we're that good" ... then he smiled ... we both laughed ... he then revealed the van was now in the main 48 with owner having moved to mainland ...

bottom line ... stephans ... reasonable and knowledgeable people who have a genuine concern about the part they play in your enjoyable vanagon owner experience ... all bundled with an easy going sense of good humoured niceness ... what more could a girl ask ... :)

yours

-- roger w From Proverbs: Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up: a servant who becomes king ... ---------------------------------------------------------- Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ View the growing list of video work at: http://revver.com/find/video/?query=LastonLastof&search_on=owners