Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:08:46 -0700
From:         Andrew Martin <ramblinvan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Busted water pump and an extra nut
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@gmail.com>

The follow up...

I installed the new water pump yesterday afternoon. I bought the new pump from the Van Café; German made and came with both needed o-rings and the gasket for the small cross over pipe.

Since I was working in that area, I also changed the oil cooler o-ring and the small coolant hoses that connect the oil cooler to the water pump and thermostat housing. Those short reinforced rubber hoses harden over time and don't like to be wiggled and flexed during the water pump installation so rather than risking a possible hose failure in this very tight and barely accessible location, I replaced them all. They are not "crasy" expensive so it's rather cheap "peace of mind".

The Van Café sells everything needed for this project and I was particularly impressed with the new oil cooler o-ring they sell. It's got ears! The old oil cooler o-ring was perfectly round (though squished flat and stiff) but the new o-ring has small tabs that fit over the raised tangs on the cooler and hold the new o-ring in place during reassembly. Me like.

Here's my parts list with part numbers and VC prices.

Water Pump 2.1L 025.121.010C 1 $68.00 Cooling Hose - Oil Cooler to Metal Pipe - SEE DESC 025.121.058D 1 $3.75 Cooling Hose - Joins metal pipe from oil cooler - 025.121.058E 1 $6.45 Cooling Hose - Oil Cooler to Metal Pipe - SEE DESC 025.121.058G 1 $5.45 Water Pump Hose - SEE DESCRIPTION 025.121.058J 1 $6.95 Oil Cooler Seal 038.117.070A 1 $3.25

I also installed all new ss smooth band clamps but I'm kinda nutty that way.

Though I was irrationally hopeful that the new water pump might lower the needle position on my temp gauge, it did not.

Kinda informative and serious for Phydaye, eh?

Andrew Bainbridge Island WA

-----Original Message----- From: neil n [mailto:musomuso@gmail.com] Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 10:09 AM To: Andrew Martin Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: Busted water pump and an extra nut

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Andrew Martin <ramblinvan@gmail.com> wrote: > I interrupt this HIJACKED thread to share my busted Vanagon water pump > story. > > > > Read about it and see the grisly photos at this samba link. > > > > http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=409400 > > > > Got nuts? >

FWIW, I find that a flexible magnet is super useful for retrieving lost nuts. That and a dental mirror. Really handy. Just something for future reference as it seems VW Canada left that nut in there no?

Good news you found the broken metal bit so easily.

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engine s