Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:53:03 -0700
From:         Peter DiFalco <peter.difalco@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: It's Phinally Phriedae,
              and Drug prohibition created the drug lords. (was (ironically)
              Re: HIJACKED - update)

Regulated pot growing in California has many upside potentials in my opinion, and some downsides, but one major issue we need to resolve is the illegal cultivation of the plants on public land. There are many people, including Mexican gangs and their associates, who are cultivating pot on National Park and BLM land in California. They use harmful pesticides which are terrible for the environment and for the end consumer, or so I've heard, and divert local watershed runoff for their operations. Further, they tend to guard these grows with weapons and make it unsafe for Vanagon campers and other outdoor enthusiasts to enjoy their forestry visitation rights. Northern Mexico may be a warzone, but they're exporting more than drugs to our country - they're exporting violence and environmental hazards to our most pristine natural treasures.

I don't suggest that legalization or regulation will completely solve this but it creates the opportunity for competition to drop the floor out of a market which currently encourages illegal cultivation in difficult spots.

And that's my two ounces on the subject, with some VC.

-Peter