Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Apr 2010 12:04:12 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <vwdiesels@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Carry spare ECU? What else?

Although not really on the topic of spares, all this talk of ECUs reminds me of my old 2.1 ECU troubles, and I thought I'd share my solution, although it's in the archives somewhere...

I bought my '88 in '96 with 320k kms on it, VW reman engine, original ECU and AFM. Has stuttering/engine dying issues over next 9 years or so, which gradually got worse. Even swapped my ECU into a friend's van (where it ran fine). Did all the usual AFM fixes, checked grounds, etc. Finally opened ECU and saw several cracked solder joints where the connector terminals were soldered to the board. Re-flowed the solder, and the van ran perfectly with no hesitation again, I don't recall how much longer I ran it this way, but it was long enough to confirm the problem was finally gone for good. Then I pulled the engine and swapped in a TD... :-)

A bit closer to the topic, my spares list, updated for my TD engine:

spare belts - WP, Alt, PS & timing belt voltage reg/brushes glow plug relay a few small coolant hoses and clamps new water pump misc wires for quick electric fixes, elec tape & duct tape brake fluid, coolant, oil tools, including VW specific tools like metric hex keys, 12pt CV & diesel headbolt sockets, 17mm tranny socket, etc.

All that said, the only fixes I've required since '96 while travelling have been:

-loose starter wire -cracked alternator connection (internal) leading to dead battery driving over the Coqihalla in rush to catch ferry, ie: push starts from Merritt, BC to home, including on & off the ferry, culminating in driving the last 20 minutes in the dark with a rechargeable halogen light as the only light source... (this was on our old '82 Diesel - diesels will keep running with about 10V at the battery) -seized starter due to driving a 2WD like a syncro across deep water... -bad oil leak at vacuum pump from loose bolt ('82 diesel) -tranny oil topoff at Wallyworld (yech!) due to failed input shaft seal -failed headlight switch - able to clean up & get working again, still haven't installed those relays... :-( -fuel cutoff solenoid wire came loose on rough roads -WBX alt/ps/wp belts flying off on gravel roads from rocks getting tossed into pulleys - several times, but hasn't been an issue on the TD so far. -seized pilot bearing in downtown Lilloet - drove back home via Duffy Lake Road with little or no clutch. Downshifts on that road were a challenge... several times I had to start the van in gear with p/b seized... going up a 10% grade.

That's about it. I think it's a toss up between the dying '82 alternator and the seized p/b for overall entertainment value... oh yeah, the p/b incident was at the end of a 2 week trip with our 6 week old daughter, so I guess than one wins! :-)

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 10:44 AM, mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote:

> Richard, my suggestion would be to pick up a spare ECU to carry. Then > open your old ECU and solder away. If you patiently watch for one you > can find them for $75 - $125. If you break down somewhere and have to > use a shop or flaps store you could spend $500 or more and have to wait > a few days to get it, possibly with no returns if it isn't the problem. > Just having one to quickly rule it out is a big advantage when dead on > the road. > > I think there are about a half dozen parts every Vanagon should carry on > board, assuming that Vanagon is used for trips. Even people who don't do > all their own work should consider carrying them since failures often > occur traveling at night or on weekends when parts can't be purchased. > Finding someone to help work on your vehicle is easy, almost anywhere > anytime, but getting parts is another matter. Many could be working > parts only removed so a newly installed part could reduce the chances of > failure. > > Here is my basic list: > > ECU (2.1) > alternator brush/reg assembly > headlight switch > ignition switch > fuel filter > cap and rotor > alternator belt > quart of oil > > For major travel or travel to remote areas I would add: > > waterpump and gaskets > oil filter > good used fuel pump > spark plugs > brake fluid > small hoses to oil cooler > > All the above can fit in a small space under the bench. > > This can be carried to extremes and for my Baja Camper I do go to > extremes but that list is too long for this thread. > > Mark > 30+ years of VW vans, ?? 600,000+ miles I'd guess > > > > Richard Koerner wrote: > >> Think reflowing the solder joints on a 25 year old printed circuit board >> is worthwhile preventive maintenance? Or, if it aint broke, don't fix >> it? Just looking for an opinion..... >> >> Rich >> San Diego >> >>

-- Shawn Wright