Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:31:25 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: EV Conversion of an '84 Vanagon with Automatic Transmission?
Comments: To: Tobias Gogolin <usertogo@GMAIL.COM>

on the conventional cars that I have seen converted to EV , they usually have a manual trans. I say a ......can't think of the name of it right now - a GM mid-rear engine small car, like the Toyota MR2 .. but GM's copy/version - with manual trans.

I asked them what gear they used. They said 'we just leave it in 2nd'. Obviously having gears that you don't use is extra weight and ineffeciency ... so a modified gasoline car isn't likely to ever be as good as a designed-for-it-from the beginning EV.,

as for auto trans ... it would work but just as you loose some effeciency of power transfer with an auto trans and IC engine .. you'd be giving up something .....performance, range, etc. by retrofitting an electric motor to a conventional car with auto trans, I would think.

Electric motor has full torque at zero rpm ...so having solid gears and no clutch between electric motor and wheels is the natural approach. A torque converter of an auto trans would just reduce efffeciency. If you want to re-engineer the auto trans for EV opertion and eleminate the torque converter ....I suppose someone could ... but since EV's often only use one gear anyway ....not much point in doing that.

buy hey, if that's what you have to work with...........given what you already own or can get easily , and your budget ... then go for it, but I think that fundamentally a manual trans is likely to be 'less bad' than an auto trans.

there's been at least one Vanagon EV so far I think. Google it. or Wikipedia. Lots of room for batteries ! the differential is part of the trans, and to keep from re-engineering the entire drive train ... you just keep the stock manual trans with integrated differential for most EV's that are converted IC cars.

Scott www.turbovans.ccom ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tobias Gogolin" <usertogo@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 12:22 PM Subject: EV Conversion of an '84 Vanagon with Automatic Transmission?