Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Apr 2010 20:40:24 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW quality & Mercedes FI & Japanese FI - was - Massive
              Maintenance and cost
Comments: To: frankgrun <frankgrun@aol.com>

Funny how things work out. When Germany surrendered, we got the liquid scientists here in Huntsville. The Russians took the solid fuel scientists. They had powerful rockets that could throw anything into space, but they couldn't be controlled as well for exploration. We got the weaker liquid rockets because of the German team we got. We therefore focused on miniaturizing everything we put into space. That led to the transistor. That led to personal computers. That led to the internet that we are communication on right now.

One time when I was at NASA with my dad, Dr. Von Braun knew I was there and came out and asked me to hold something. He put a funny-looking cube in my hands. It was the strung iron core memory (anyone remember THAT?) for the mercury capsule, about 16 bits in all if I remember. He said "you're holding two million dollars." What a feeling!

Jim