Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Apr 2010 09:27:52 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vendor choices for rebuilt Auto Tranny
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>

There is an beetle and vanagon engine rebuilder in Leeds, Alabama (just outside Birmingham) who 10 years ago rebuilt the engine in my 88 GL. The engine has over 140,000 miles on it now and has held up extremely well. I'm very happy with him and his work. He also rebuilds transmissions. His is a unique niche of only beetles, buses, vanagons and the tranny's from same. You might call and talk with him. Tell him I referred you to him.

Jim Connel Phone: 205-699-9600. Leeds, AL

He lives on the side of what down here is called a mountain - and when you drive in to his place - up the hillside all through the trees is scattered the biggest collection of dead Volkswagens I have ever seen.

Good luck.

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 4/17/2010 7:09 AM, Edward Maglott wrote: > I'm trying to decide how to go about correcting my AT troubles on my > '86. You might remember my posts about my leaking ATF in the torque > converter area. So tranny is going to need to come out to address > that, and might as well replace/rebuild the AT section at that > time. The AT has a few quirks that make me think that it will bed > rebuilding in the next couple years anyway. I don't know of any > reputable tranny rebuilders that I would trust to do the R&R and > rebuild the tranny and not charge me $2000 for a few hours work and a > few hundred $ in parts. So I'm thinking of buying an AT and torque > converter from an expert and doing it myself, or having a local > trusted guy do the R&R. > > There's Daryl at AA in Oregon who seems to get rave reviews here. I > know he's whipping up on cancer right now and not sure if he's > shipping out trannies. German Transaxle? Others? I'm in NC, so I > guess closer would save some time and $ on shipping these heavy items. > > Thanks for any opinions. > Edward > >