Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:35:26 -0600
From:         miguel pacheco <mundopacheco@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV joints..What to look at, how to tell...
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

Don,if you are using the grease gun with needle attachment, to inject grease into your CVs, go ahead and use same to inject a little grease into shifter boots, depending on year, of course. Miguel

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas A. Edison

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote: > Thanks for the responses, everyone.  Guessing, I probably have about 15k > miles since I last greased these CVs.   They were pretty dry at that time, > hence the discoloration, I guess...I'll go under and twist and inspect. > Hopefully I won't have to remove and replace...though CV joints are > fascinating pieces of engineering and fabrication, that is a messy job > without a lift and a parts washer tank. > >  I'll post in  a few days.  Also, it will be interesting to see if > switching from Redline MT-90 to Swepco 201 in my 5sp tranny produces any > noticable difference.  And I have a brand new can of SA Besto spray lube to > douche all the shift linkage as well as the suspension bushings and ball > joints.  My van is gonna love me.  I just treated it to a tank of premium > fuel with a dash of StaBil gas treatment...Might be my imagination but it > seems to make smoother and better power running on premium fuel...1.8 '92 > Golf inline 8 valve VW motor in there, normal operation elevation is ~ sea > level. > >  BTW..it is now actual spring in the NW US a bit east of Portland, Or. > Leaves coming out, Cherry Blossoms and Lilacs, grass is green and being > mowed by some of the more an*l residents in nearby cities...Even saw lots of > shorts-wearers yesterday... > >   Don Hanson > > On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 3:48 AM, Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@comcast.net> wrote: > >> Don, what I normally do is look at the boots to see if they are OK.  If >> they are then I take the axle in my hand and try to turn it like you would >> rev a motorcycle hand grip.  Try to rock it back and forth.  If you feel >> play then you can a dry or worn CV joint and you should pull that side for >> further investigation.  If they feel tight (no play) and they are not making >> noise then you should be good to go.  Hope this helps. >> >> Ken Wilford >> John 3:16 >> www.vanagain.com >> >> >> >> >