Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Apr 2010 11:16:08 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auto tranny lost 3rd gear
Comments: cc: Rob <becida@comcast.net>

--snip- If its like most other auto trannys this means a total rebuild because you have to unload everything else to get to 3rd gear. --snip--

It is pretty much buried in the middle, but more to the point I think that if it's worn out, the rest of it is too, or it's about to be.

--snip-- Seems expensive but its far cheaper than a rebuild because you lost high gear - caused by low fluid - because of a leak. --snip--

There's a chance she lost third because his valve body is dirty/clogged (or the separation plate is badly worn), or the governor drive broke or something... there aren't really much in the way of seals in the thing unless you include the pistons in that; it seems that damaged pistons often come with very worn plates. I don't know that it'd be much cheaper to break the thing down and service one part. Having been in there I don't think I'd bother unless I knew for a fact that the rest of it was in really good condition; If I was going to go through all the trouble of getting it out, separating it from the diff and getting into it I'd just rebuild the thing while I was at it, probably replace the torque converter too.

You (Rob) can call Ken at German Transaxle and he should be able to give you a shipping quote and explain their rebuild process (which includes reconditioning the valve body, which you really can't do at home and you might not get from a local shop). In fact I think before I made a decision I would pull the valve body, disassemble, clean and inspect it and decide based on that how to proceed. Alternately; you can send GT the valve body for reconditioning if it needs it and rebuild the tranny yourself.

If you decide to do the valve body you need a clean, well lit area without distractions; work on one section at a time and do the whole thing at one shot. Be very careful of the little balls; it'd be easy to lose one. It's not really the kind of thing where you want to stop in the middle and come back to it. I also took pictures of each move I made. The diagrams in the Bentley are pretty good, but your pictures will make more sense to you. I used carb cleaner, a pick, some lint-free shop cloths, some sheet plastic and tranny assemble lube (but you can just use ATF).

To answer your question; I got my rebuild kit locally. I wound up spending more but the guy was answering my numerous questions so I didn't mind so much compensating him for that. Van-Again (Ken, a list vendor at www.vanagain.com ) has a kit (010398007KIT*) but as you can see you'd still need the things he lists there that aren't in his kit.

www.vanagonparts.com had everything necessary at the time I bought the stuff to do mine; I have attached a .jpg with the list and part numbers they sent me at the time (the list will strip that for everyone else), however I assume the prices will be very different as it was five years ago. You can call or email them to get current prices.

I bought the transmission assembly lube, a manual (which I found I didn't really need vs. the Bentley, but it was nice to be able to compare) and some misc. parts from http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/ . You can use ATF (and in fact you have to soak the plates in it before assembly, so you'll want some fresh/clean before starting), but the lube doesn't drip and helps some things stick together, which is nice when you need it.

You should change the differential fluid while you're at it. Make sure you can get the 17mm fill plug out before you pull the pan. I wouldn't bother getting the very expensive diff pan gasket; I used "The Right Stuff" (a gasket maker/RTV type of thing I got at Napa).

I'd spend a little more money and replace the fluids with synthetics when you put it back in.

Cya, Robert