Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:57:59 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      syncro-front axle inner cv joint boot replacement

I replaced front inner boot today, lefthand side, not right as I mistakenly wrote yesterday.

some notes:

-boot had been ripped for a while, but I couldn't stand it any more :) -remove axle nut with van on ground (236 ft lbs) -my sway bar is off -upper ball joint needs to be removed, not the tapered part, but just the 2 bolts holding it in upper control arm -steering knuckle can then be tilted outboard to allow axle to be removed -inner cv joint bolts were hex, not triple square -i used a c clamp on brake rotor to stop axle rotating as I removed inner v bolts -bolts had white paint splash on them. Wonder what that means. -cv joint was in good shape, light wear, no pitting, balls ok -cv joint marked with vw/audi logos and made in W.Germany. I wonder if original equipment. -you do need 2 rolls of paper towels :) -used combo of brake cleaner and white gas bath to degrease (its what I had around. white gas not safe) -moly CV grease used, not german, NAPA brand. Looked the same as the german (lobro, wurth?) stuff in blue tubes I have used in the past. -I used a good used boot. I had cleaned and coated it with talc a while back, felt like new. -I didn't remove boot to examine outer joint. Probably should have. But will be dropping front dif soon and I will then, both sides. -I marked with centre punch and carbide scribe, the cv joint housing and races so I could re-assemble exactly. I have never bothered to do this in the past, but it made me feel better.

one worrisome thing, after re-assembly and re-torqueing, more threads show on axle than I recall seeing before r&r. more also than on the untouched righthand side axle. I don't know how this can be. If i have missed something I can't think of what it is. The outer cv seats itself in on the wheel bearings, the nut pulls it tighter. wheel turns fine. Maybe its nothing...

alistair '86 syncro 7 passenger '82 westy, diesel converted to gas in '94 http://www.members.shaw.ca/albell/ http://shufti.wordpress.com