Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:56:13 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vendor choices for rebuilt Auto Tranny

I'll check around again, but all the local tranny shops quote in the $1500-$2000 range to rebuild it. (a high profit operation for them.)

Probably 7 years ago I rebuilt one of these. I know how simple it is. I got a free tranny from FL, unfortunately it had been sitting for a while and had been in a very moist environment. The clutches, etc inside it were not even worn out, but I replaced them anyway. Got the Torque converter rebuilt at a "reputable" shop. Put it all back in, and it not go well at all. ATF leak in the TC area and not shifting problems immediately. I had access to an AT pressure gauge and it was showing pressures out of spec. I suspected valve body, so I swapped in the VB from my original tranny. Hey, it acted just like my original tranny! The original probably just had VB problems too. I threw in the towel at that point and had a trusted guy throw in a good used tranny. The AT parts supplier I used had no VB parts. I understand that the VB is the trickiest part on these and I think that is where the skills are needed that exceed my (and average home mechanic) capabilities.

Edward

At 08:09 AM 4/18/2010, Dennis Haynes wrote: >Any auto tranny shop should be able to do this for you at a reasonable >price. They access to the parts including getting the torque converter >rebuilt. >This really a very simple automatic box. >Dennis > > >-----Original Message----- >From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of >Edward Maglott >Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2010 8:09 AM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Vendor choices for rebuilt Auto Tranny > >I'm trying to decide how to go about correcting my AT troubles on my >'86. You might remember my posts about my leaking ATF in the torque >converter area. So tranny is going to need to come out to address >that, and might as well replace/rebuild the AT section at that >time. The AT has a few quirks that make me think that it will bed >rebuilding in the next couple years anyway. I don't know of any >reputable tranny rebuilders that I would trust to do the R&R and >rebuild the tranny and not charge me $2000 for a few hours work and a >few hundred $ in parts. So I'm thinking of buying an AT and torque >converter from an expert and doing it myself, or having a local >trusted guy do the R&R. > >There's Daryl at AA in Oregon who seems to get rave reviews here. I >know he's whipping up on cancer right now and not sure if he's >shipping out trannies. German Transaxle? Others? I'm in NC, so I >guess closer would save some time and $ on shipping these heavy items. > >Thanks for any opinions. >Edward