Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Apr 2010 14:31:10 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      fuel tank source

At some point my fuel tank was dinged, and evidently has a reduced capacity. It does not leak (and I don't smell gasoline at fill up, at least not any more than with any vehicle, new or otherwise). The tank is empty at what I call 3/4 on the gas gauge, so I always refill it just before it reaches that level. It takes about 12 gallons to fill it when it is right at that mark.

At any rate, I am considering replacing the tank and whatever else I would need to replace in the process. Should I go ahead and put in a new sending unit while I am at it, to forestall redoing work in case the unit is faulty? What else do I need to order for the tank replacement?

The only online source I found for a fuel tank was Bus Depot at $160. About right? Can anyone direct me to any other sources? I did not see a fuel tank listed at VanCafe, GoWesty, or VanAgain. Do I need to rust proof the tank before installation? Why aren't these tanks polyethylene to avoid the rust problem?

-- David McNeely