Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Apr 2010 15:03:07 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Camper/Multivan Supplement to Volkswagen Owner's Manual
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com>

Jake, I don't know what your problem is. Whatever I say, you take offense or exception to. I have a copper core radiator. I bought it, I paid for it, a radiator shop that's been in business here for decades under a father and then his son installed it. I've seen it, and I demonstrated to you that such exist, though you denied it.

Good grief. Your tape is just a piece of metal, or nylon or whatever, too. Is it a standard, certified by the Bureau of Standards, or the Systeme Internationale? The manual gives the nominal dimension. That demonstrates the slight difference that exists in the two bunks, which was the point. Your measurement agrees.

Again, good grief.

---- Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: > Yes! Its just a piece of paper whereas the MATTRESS is good solid data. > > Sorta like the difference between 'believing' that you have a copper > core/brass tank radiator and actually 'looking' at it to ascertain the > truth... > > On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:41 PM, <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > > > Is the manual as a source "hearsay"? Seems odd. > > > > ---- Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: > > > I just went out and measured Dixie's mattresses so we could have some > > real > > > knowledge instead of hearsay. > > > > > > On a 1986 Pop-top Westy Weekender the lower berth is 46" wide and the > > upper > > > is 47 1/2" wide - not a lot wider up top and a solid foot from being > > queen > > > sized! =) > > > > > > On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > > > > > > > ---- Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > The bottom bed has a big bite out of it from the camping stuff. The > > > > > top bed has less of a bite out of it because of the inward curvature > > > > > of the walls of the van. Conventional widsom is that the top is > > > > > "queen" and the bottom is "double." I doubt that's exactly true. > > > > > > > > Well, my perception was that the top was several inches wider than the > > > > bottom. However, the figure given in the book is that it is only 0.8 > > inch > > > > wider. That is quite a lot less than the difference between a "double" > > and > > > > a "queen" mattress. My wife likes to sleep between sheets with > > blankets > > > > when it is not cold enough to require a sleeping bag. She puts "double > > bed" > > > > sheets on the bottom mattress, and they fit pretty well. They probably > > > > would work up top, too, though the mattress is really thin. We've > > never > > > > slept up there ourselves. > > > > > > > > > The problem with your manual no doubt happened at the contractor's > > > > > print shop on Monday morning after New Year's. But I've seen it > > happen > > > > > plenty of times. Look at the pages and see if the ones in French are > > > > > connected through the binding with another page in French. > > > > > > > > Yes, but some of those have English on the reverse side, some have > > French, > > > > so the mistake may have been in printing as well as in assembling. > > > > > > > > I did learn that the manual was available in a French language version > > and > > > > an English language version by looking in the owner's manual for > > ordering > > > > information. > > > > > > > > >Somebody > > > > > just picked up a press sheet , which was probably "ganged" with both > > > > > languages, checked it for quality and put it back down the wrong way > > > > > around. You may have the only one in existence! > > > > > > > > I should offer it for sale to collectors, right :-). > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Jim > > > > > > > > > > On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> > > wrote: > > > > > > I've been meaning to try to find an answer to this question. My > > > > supplement, referenced in the post subject, has some pages in English, > > some > > > > in French. These pages are not duplicates -- some information is in > > French > > > > only, some in English only. At first I thought this was because some > > > > installations are Canadian only, but some of the French pages refer to > > > > things that are in my U.S. model, and some English pages describe items > > that > > > > occur only in the Canadian model, such as the smoke detector. Of > > course, to > > > > serve all Canadian owners, the entire manual should be printed in both > > > > English and French. > > > > > > > > > > > > I suppose that my manual is just a bastard, containing a mismatch > > of > > > > English and French language versions. Does anyone know if the manuals > > were > > > > available in Canada in French versions? If so, maybe my manual just > > got > > > > pages mixed at the print shop. > > > > > > > > > > > > Interestingly, on page 35 of this manual, the ground clearance is > > > > listed as "75.0 in. (190 mm)." Wow! Of course, 190 mm is > > approximately > > > > 7.48 inches, so I guess the listing is a typo for 7.50 in. > > > > > > > > > > > > Apropos a discussion of some time back, this page also lists the > > bed > > > > dimensions, as follows: > > > > > > > > > > > > "upper 72.8 x 48.0 in (1850 x 1220 mm) > > > > > > lower 74.0 x 47.2 in (1880 x 1200 mm)" > > > > > > > > > > > > So, the upper is very slightly wider, and very slightly shorter, > > > > according to VW. > > > > > > > > > > > > I thought that I remembered a greater difference in width than > > that; > > > > others thought the two were the same width. These data seem to > > vindicate > > > > both opinions, in that the upper is wider, but very little. > > > > > > > > > > > > David McNeely > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > David McNeely > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > Jake > > > > > > 1984 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX 'The Grey Van' > > > 1986 Westy Weekender/2.5 SOHC Suby 'Dixie' > > > > > > Crescent Beach, BC > > > > > > www.thebassspa.com > > > www.crescentbeachguitar.com > > > http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27 > > > > -- > > David McNeely > > > > > > -- > Jake > > 1984 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX 'The Grey Van' > 1986 Westy Weekender/2.5 SOHC Suby 'Dixie' > > Crescent Beach, BC > > www.thebassspa.com > www.crescentbeachguitar.com > http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27

-- David McNeely