Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:32:54 +0100
From:         Arkady Mirvis <arkadymirvis@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      The alternator issue

I am sure that many will agree with me on doubtfull quality of made by Bosch alternators installed in Vanagons. They are mechanically unreliable. I am pointing to the bearing on a small end. In my Westy I spotted the shaft wobbling after 14,000 miles. The nylon sleeve the bearing had as a seat was very loose on the bearing and in the bore. The bore became out-of-round and had conicity. I decided not to bother with opening the bore and making larger sleeve and got another alternator remanufactured by Bosch. Out of curiocity I took it apart and witness the bearing and the sleeve to be loose. That alternator had even shorter life. The seat was enlarged and TOLERANCE RING installed. The problem was cured. Speaking alternator. The original Bosch 33 x alternator has 2 capacitors. Most alternators I've seen on Jettas do have one capacitor. Example Bosch 27 X ( I do have one new ). Can somebody explain to me what the second capacitor is for. Can I use Bosch 27 X alternator when I want in My 1987 Westy? Thanks in advance.