Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Apr 2010 20:37:23 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Future propane changes planned. Prepare in advance?
Comments: To: Scott Chapman <scott_list@MISCHKO.COM>

At 01:32 PM 4/19/2010, Scott Chapman wrote: >Good plan?

I think so.

>Also, why do they run 2 small lines from tank to fridge & stove rather >than one line up and T it off inside? I assume you'd need a bigger line

The fewer connections you have inside, the fewer places there are to leak inside. Also access could be a problem. Just my thoughts, but they seem (of course) reasonable to me.

Incidentally, this isn't natural gas, which is mostly methane and lighter than air. LP (stands for liquefied petroleum) gas is a manufactured gas made up mostly of propane and butane, though it's commonly called just "propane." It's heavier than air (like gasoline vapor) and will run down hill. It's usable down to around 0F IIRC. It's definitely *not* usable for high-pressure applications at -20F -- I've watched (I was holding it) a propane torch taken from indoors freeze and go out within a few minutes at that temp.

LP gas is of course extremely flammable in proper concentrations. At higher concentrations it's an asphyxiant. The liquid is cryogenic (very very cold) at atmospheric pressure because of its rapid evaporation. A sudden release of LP will thus pose a severe freezing danger, then asphyxiate anything within a volume of about 250 times the liquid volume, then gradually dilute and become explosive. The three gallons in a Westy tank would evaporate to about 100 cubic feet, half the total cargo volume of a Vanagon, so for us Vanagoneers fire/explosion is the primary danger.

If heated in a fire, the tank will vent through its pressure relief valve. If the rate of heating overwhelms the vent, the tank will eventually burst in a boiling-liquid expanding vapor explosion, or BLEVE. There's an excellent non-technical short video about BLEVEs in home water heaters at http://www.watts.com/mediaCenter/ under the "Educational" tab. It's called _Explosion Danger Lurks_. In the video the Watts Regulator Co. stress the importance of using combined pressure and temperature relief valves, as a BLEVE is not possible if the temp doesn't exceed boiling point. However in our case normal room temperature is far above the boiling point of the liquid, so we have to accept the potential of a BLEVE if the tank ruptures by mechanical means as well as by excessive heat overpowering the venting capacity of the relief valve. However our Vanagon tanks are built very strongly, much stronger than a BBQ tank.

Yours, David