Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:00:30 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: '87 Westy: New fuel pump started crying on first day after
              fill              up.
Comments: To: Christopher Eric Shirley <hbnanstad@MAC.COM>

Hi Christopher, welcome to the list !

I have heard of people wiring the fuel pump backwards temporarily to make it run backwards, to flush out junk. Never tired it myself .. but that's something to try. I also would feel better doing that knowing I had a spare fuel pump on hand , like a known-good used one . I just like having known-good spare used units for everything.

your idea of a pre-filter is good. there is already one that fits ( depending on your fuel tank outlet size , and assuming 2WD, not syncro ) . the 83 to 85 Vanagon with 1.9 engine used only a small square-shaped fuel filter prior to the fuel pump. It's not clear though. and might not fit directly to your current fuel tank outlet, depending on what hose size your tank uses there.

but in any case, sure., put a filter on it prior to the fuel pump if you want. I haven't found that that matters so much myself, I prefer just the large 'metal can' fuel filter downstream of the pump that you should have now anyway. I also religiously empty those out backwards whenever I have it off, to check inside the fuel filter for what's in there, I commonly find fine dirt, rust particles, maybe water, or tiny shiny bits of metal, which I can only imagine are from the fuel pump.

for about $ 2 you could get one of those clear inline fuel filters used on old VW Bugs and such ...usually between fuel pump on engine and carb. Those are clear ... then don't filter all that well, but will pop right into your fuel line prior to the fuel pump, and they're cheap. worth a try. And it won't be under pressure either ...but under suction ....might work. For short term use I'd think. I haven't found that the fuel pumps are very sensitive to junk, though there are limits to what they can take I'm sure. I could almost say that old fuel tanks in 2WD vanagons are more of an issue than fuel pumps. I'm flat amazed, and impressed, with how well those fuel pumps last. They run full time, every second the engine is running after all, sometimes for 15 or more years. Nice durable part ! Whenever I'm, working on running or especially fuel delivery/supply issues, I feel better seeing the actual fuel pressure at the engine with a fuel pressure gauge. Good tool to have.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Eric Shirley" <hbnanstad@MAC.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:03 AM Subject: '87 Westy: New fuel pump started crying on first day after fill up.