Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:45:33 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Busted water pump and an extra nut
Comments: To: Andrew Martin <ramblinvan@GMAIL.COM>

Nice story ! The 'impeller face' on the engine block- eyeball that, make sure it's not too trashed up. Personally, I don't think it has to be 'just perfect' .. it has to be mostly all right. There is some leeway there. I think that there was likely not that much loss of coolant flow with that piece of impeller gone. Like could still pump maybe 75 to 80 % as well as if intact.

and hey ....at least you found a big fat 'this is not right!'..... far better than having a problem but you can't find anything obviously wrong.

that piece laying in the engine ....I don't think that would have hurt if left there.

yup....two old Gatha's ... one - 'FOD' - foreign object damage, an aircraft term. the other ... Workmanship. Somebody hadda drop that nut in there.

makes for a good vanagon story too, thanks for sharing it ! scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Martin" <ramblinvan@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:41 PM Subject: Busted water pump and an extra nut