Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:36:28 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: front end reassembly: strut bar
Comments: To: Bill MacLachlan <billmacla@GMAIL.COM>

Bill,

check out the listings on used victoria. there are a few westies and more

for example:

'88 westy, $15,500 http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/11798743

'90 west with 79k miles, $19,900 http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/11530280

Paulchen rack, $100 http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/11816352

and much more :)

alistair

On 20-Apr-10, at 10:07 PM, Bill MacLachlan wrote:

Well it all went together well. I gently tapped the rod on over the bolts, tightened it up with the old nuts, then realised I couldn't get the stabiliser bar link in. Dropped the two bushings that attach the stabiliser to the body and it was an easy to set the link in- tons of slop that allowed moving it all over the place. Refitting the bushings on the radius rod, found I couldn't get the nut on. No projecting thread. Turned the steering wheel, and the movement of the wheel pushed the rod through the bushing gave me plenty to play with. I was working on the right side of the van, turned the wheels to the left. Bolted it up, tightened it to exactly 72 ft lb ( ie on the really darn tight side of pretty darn tight), cleaned up, did a quick test drive, called it quits. I'll do the other side another night, armed with a little experience!!!

Looking under there, and generally thinking of the van, it really is time for a new one, despite the new parts I see all over the underside of my van. A late model westy this time. lowish miles, no rust, power mirrors, manual windows, grey interior, nice wheels, standard........a good subie or zetec conversion would be nice.......... let me know if you see anything!!!!!

Bill M 82 GL I4 with new bushings!!!!!! vancouver