Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:11:36 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: More Fuel Pump Weirdness - Has Mercury gone retrograde again?
Comments: To: Pat Sloan <pmsloan@shaw.ca>

Who is your mechanic?

I would set up a fuel pump arrangement similar to the stock gas motor version with a plastic filter, a Bosch pump and a metal pressurized filter all feeding the motor and a return line taking the excess fuel back to the tank.

What are you using for a pressure regulator?

Jake

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Pat Sloan <pmsloan@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi everyone, > > The Otter continues to have problems with coughing and dying. After trying > a > lot of things, it seems to come back to the fuel pump, which is buzzing and > stressed because it is not getting enough fuel. Therefore it chokes, coughs > and dies. > > Background: This is a 1982 Vanagon camper. It was originally a diesel, but > was converted to a US 1987 1.8 L Jetta engine about 60,000 miles ago. So > she > is now a water-cooled, gas-powered van. Since buying her last Nov, she has > had new fuel lines installed and reinstalled (first mechanic used inferior > materials), fuel tank has been sealed (multiple leaks), replaced O rings on > fuel injectors and tied down the several fuel injectors which were loose > and > would pull right out of the engine, and replaced ignition switch, battery > and muffler. > > Now we are thinking that the problem relates to the conversion from its > original diesel state to its conversion to a gas engine. > > Can anyone comment or verify my understanding of how the conversion affects > the fuel pump issue? > > My Understanding: > > The diesel Vanagon actually has 2 fuel pumps - 1 located in the gas tank, > which pulls the fuel up into the fuel lines and sends it along to fuel pump > #2, near the engine, which actually pushes the fuel into the engine. There > is no fuel pump in the gas tank of my Otter. The fuel pumps which have been > installed so far (2 by highly recommended VW mechanics, but that's a story > best left until my blood pressure cools down) have only been 'pusher' fuel > pumps located near the engine. Therefore, the pump isn't getting enough > fuel > from the tank and after a while, it gets stressed and stops. Hence, the > Otter's coughing and dying experiences. > > There is a universal fuel pump available, which does both the pulling (from > the tank) and the pushing (into the engine). My mechanic wants to install > this and it sounds sensible to me. > > Does it sound sensible to you? > > Thanks for any input. > > Pat > > 1982 Vanagon w/87 Jetta engine - Otter >

-- Jake

1984 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX 'The Grey Van' 1986 Westy Weekender/2.5 SOHC Suby 'Dixie'

Crescent Beach, BC

www.thebassspa.com www.crescentbeachguitar.com http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27