Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Apr 2010 07:59:25 -0400
From:         B Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>
Subject:      Subtle hesitation- driving me crazy...

I'm still trying to work the bugs out of my new engine setup. What I have now is 2 things, not as much power as I would like and a subtle hesitation. OK, I can learn to live with the less power, my old engine had the timing at 10 BTDC and the vacuum hose disconnected. This was fine since the engine was coming out and I did not want to investigate further. I want to run the new engine at factory spec, OK, timing at TDC, but I want the vacuum hoses, idle stabilizer, etc. connected. Following both Dennis Haynes's and Gary (the engine builder's) advice the engine should really run fine at factory specs. My biggest issue from the onset was a burnt connection in the distributor cap. It was bad. There was a noticeable difference when I replaced the wires, cap and rotor. The current issue is there is a very subtle hesitation when accelerating. Subtle enough that I notice it but a regular mechanic might not. This happens when the engine is cold or hot. I have swapped out the AFM, no difference, I have swapped out the ECU, no difference, I have replaced the vacuum lines, no difference. Now the van will run fine at a higher timing advance but we don't want to do that. Some have suggested the fuel injectors but keep in mind, the old engine with all the exact same parts ran fantastic with the timing advanced. I'm taking good power and great gas mileage and no hesitation. I'm leaning towards the distributer. Could this be the cause? Wouldn't non-functioning vacuum advances and/or retards cause this problem? Is there a way to test these things? I see ways to test the electrical connections but not the vacuum. And if my vacuum retard is not working how do I know I have the timing right at 850 RPM's?

I'm all ears on this one. I'd gladly take it to a mechanic but this is one of those cases where I could get a worse running van back, it's happened. If I take it to someone I would like to be able to point them in the direction of what to look for.

Thanks,

Bryan