Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:27:23 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: OK, Swepco gear oil..

Didn't mean to start a Gear Oil war.

I simply wanted to state what I saw and felt yesterday when I changed from MT-90 Redline...not MTL...no, not that...unh uh, nope. the oil I replaced it with and for which I titled the post was Swepco 201...not 210 or anything else..I .know not how all this other stuff came into play here. I didn't use any "industrial application" Swepco, though they do make oils for use in locomotives, cranes and probably even Peterbilt trucks, too.. "Swepco" is the corporate name of Southwest Petroleum Company, I think...Sound big and diverse...dunno bout that...

.I used the Swepco 201 that I got from Paragon Products or Pelican Parts--forget which...both Porsche-centric automotive product catalogs and sources I've used happily in the past for my own Porsche parts. I figure if it works in a Porsche it should be ok in the vanagon.. I see now that it has an "80/90" little round sticker on the jug in which it came..and I think they even said that weight in the catalog..It was the only "Swepco 201" that they sold...It matches what I found suggested by the bentley book for my tranny...

I've seen Redline widely used in gearboxes for German cars at the track, also and in fact used it in my own vehicles with satisfactory results..as I mentioned in my post..It looked very good after 25k miles and there were no bad gear shavings on the drain plug...

No war! Don Hanson