Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:41:16 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Note Re: More Fuel Pump Weirdness - Has Mercury gone
              retrograde              again?
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

It's not a diesel ( engine ) . - see original post - :-) OK.. I read a few posts, and no one has asked which fuel system it has. Being and 87 Jetta it could be CIS-E or 'regular' EFI - Difignat with electnically controlled fuel injectors, like vanagon waterboxers use.

no vanagons of any type have an in-tank fuel pump of course. If the Jetta engine has Digifant , it uses the same fuel pump vanagon waterboxers do. That pump and system, with fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, run around 30 - 34 psi....32ish, that rangne. If you block off the output to a vanagon fuel pump ...so it pushes as hard as it can ...it'll reach 100 psi, but they never run that way, and are made for systems in the 30psi-ish range.

CIS on the other hand .. Easily identified by braided fuel hoses going 'everywhere' ....about 6 or 7 separate ones. That system .......in some cases those to have a smallish delvery pump ..that feeds fuel to the main pump. And the pressure that system runs at is ....60ish or more.... Won't get into how that system works...but ....ingeniously.....'control pressure' varies by a temperature-sensive fuel pressure regulator .. and that pressure is used to control the fuel mixture ...by how much fuel sprays .....and it sprays contiuously not pulsed like EFI.

first is find determine which fuel system it is. if it's Digifant EFI - fuel pressure is pretty easy to check. simple system. - need adequate supply to pump, good pump and filter, correctly working fuel pressure regulator ...and good lines/hoses ..that's it. problems are usually with pump, filter, and fuel pick-up in the tank being restricted. Rarely the fuel pressure regulator is faulty. I just test for clogged tank by running the car off an other fuel source like can of gas.

also .. besides whatever tune-up or fuel injection issues there may be.. always consider clogged cat or muffler. That can happen easily ....usually doesn't cause sputtering, but it shows up as one customer used to put it............... 'delayed gratification.'

so which fuel system please ? Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:30 PM Subject: Note Re: More Fuel Pump Weirdness - Has Mercury gone retrograde again?