Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Apr 2010 16:09:07 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Question about the fluid cooler on the auto tranny

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@gmail.com>wrote:

> I thought perhaps it isn't there to 'cool' the fluid so much as it's > there to bring the fluid up to operating temps and keep it there (and maybe > cool it if it starts running hotter). >

I'd heard the same thing before, that the transmission heat exchanger is like the oil heat exchanger, meant to keep everything at a uniform temperature and get it there as soon as possible.... but then I looked at how the transmission cooler plumbing is arranged. The return line off the cooler is a branch off the return line from the radiator. That line only flows when the thermostat is open. That being the case, your transmission heat exchanger only starts to exchange heat when the thermostat hits 87degC. When I put in my rebuilt, I plumber the transmission cooler with the lines that used to run to the rear heater (which I removed) because the manual radiator return hose (now NLA?) was much cheaper than the automatic wye-shaped franken-hose. I notice no ill effects. If I were to do it now, I'd probably install a SmallCar transmission cooler, just to decouple it from the cooling system.

-- John Bange