Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Apr 2010 22:32:07 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Old Volks Home Cluster Retrofit Question
Comments: To: John Lauterbach <jhlauterbach@BELLSOUTH.NET>

re I have a 1984 GL Wasserboxer w/Speedo, w/Trip Odometer, &w/Analog > Clock, w/Coolant Temp gauge. > > The instructions from Old Volks Home state you can't use your original > speedo when upgrading to an instrument cluster from an 86-91. Does > anyone know why or if there is a work around?

It's not that your 84 speedometer won't screw into the later instrument cluster. It'll fit and operate mechanically just fine. You do need to pay attention to a few things though .. things off the top of my head that are different are... the 86 to 91 printed circuit has connections in the speedometer area of the DOPS - dyncmaic oil pressure circuit ... a circuit board that they happend to hide inside the speedometer on those years .

also ...the wires that come in on the main connector, T14 ....different wires will be in different places in that connector compared to your 84 , but they can be moved around. Conveniently brilliantly that connector opens up and you can put the blue wire where the yellow one was, etc.

and you want to do this to have a tach ? and digital clock ? is that the goal ?

it's doable. Usually people want a tach, is why they would do this. you just need to combine the right printed circuit with the right instruments and wire connections. Easiest would be a fairly rare 84 printed circuit that uses a tach. More common would be an 85 printed circuit that uses a tach. No DOPS in those, but T14 wiring is slightlly different I think.

if you already have an 86 to 91 printed circuit or instrument cluster .. I believe that can be done ...just harder. You won't be using the DOPS ... but that doesn't need to be connected either. You might need to do 'one trick' on one wire for the DOPS to keep it happy. The actual DOPS circuit baord itself doesn't need to be in there I don't think.

Might hvae to get clever and creative ....and I am not absolutely sure that you can get your 84 speedo into an 86 to 91 instrument cluster and have it all work ....but it seems to me that with careful work and careful attention to wire posistions at T14 .... heck, I still can't think of any particular reason it won't work. there is no interface between the printed circuit and an 84 speedometer that I can think of ... I don't see why you can't screw an 84 speedo into the later cluster. You just need to do a few tricks to make it be happy in an 84 Vanagon .

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Lauterbach" <jhlauterbach@BELLSOUTH.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2010 4:11 PM Subject: Re: Old Volks Home Cluster Retrofit Question