Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:08:57 +0300
From:         Janne Ruohomäki <janne.ruohomaki@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hose clamps..
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 8:52 PM, David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> wrote: > At 10:28 AM 4/21/2010, Don Hanson wrote: >> >> Besides having SS for all the parts, the marine clamps are a usually a >> magnitude better built..but more costly, of course. > > Two things to watch out for in SS clamps: first, is the screw also > SS?  Second, is the clamp housing folded/crimped onto the band, or > spot welded?  Spot welding destroys the rust resistance in that area > and the clamp can and does abruptly fail at the weld with no previous > warning since the weld is invisible when the clamp is > installed.  Both issues are less likely in clamps from a chandlery vs a > FLAPS.

So those folded/crimped design would be actually better. At least in the features that I am searching for: ease of inspection and resistance to corrosion. I was just about to order myself SS clamps that were spot welded. Reason for that was that I thought they would be more durable. Now that I actually did some research on this I am getting my van folded ones. I thought that spot welding SS would be alright compared to welding with something that adds material to joint, (stick for example, although not possible for clamps) but it isnt the only factor in this. High heat affects most of the stainless steel types.

Lucky me I used my working time to read this list. You always learn something valuable. This message has been paid by Finnish tax payers. :)