Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Apr 2010 20:14:08 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: cooling system diagnostic help? Long,
              lots of info about whats been done so far.
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

If it is a head problem it is not showing in the cylinders. I didn't include that when I did this preliminary diagnostic this evening I did not totally re fill and re-bleed the cooling system. The pressure tank was empty after my boil-over incident. I simply poured in enough water to fill it and then started up the motor...so the bubbles coming into the pressure tank may (fingers crossed) have been some air coming from the hoses and empty cooling passages....But the over-full episode kinda makes maybe wishfull thinking.

Might be time to go get that $300 used motor I've been looking at....It IS a vw...every vw should have a spare motor, right?

This van came to me with a full-time blinking coolant light and I couldn't get it to stop...The previous owner said he also had tried but gave up and just let that sucker blink all the time. I put some tape over it and having been driving without a problem for over two years and about 40k miles...watching the temp gauge and checking the coolant level every oil check...which means every fill up of gas...I always check my oil...left over from my air cooled days, I guess.

Is there a way to check the integrity of a head/head gasket when the leak is not letting coolant into the cylinders? Or do I pull the head? Takes about 4 hrs, but could there be a flaw/fault that I wouldn't see by eye? Ugg, was not planning on this deal.. Don Hanson