Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Apr 2010 17:55:38 +0000
From:         Jamie Fitterer <fittdog8848@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacing Front 84 Brake Discs

Bus Depot hooked me up. On the way! > Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 13:16:42 +0000 > From: fittdog8848@HOTMAIL.COM > Subject: Re: Replacing Front 84 Brake Discs > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Yeah I have a buddy coming over today to help me out with the other side and bleeding. Going to flush the brake fluid and be done. > > > Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 00:23:29 -0400 > > From: d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM > > Subject: Re: Replacing Front 84 Brake Discs > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > > You should always open the bleeders when pushing caliper pistons back in. > > Pushing the old brake fluid back into the master is a good to foul up the > > checks in the master and if the reservoir is full, the fluid will overflow > > and make a mess. The brake will destroy the plastic on the instrument > > cluster. > > > > Dennis > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > > Michael Sullivan > > Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2010 2:13 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: Replacing Front 84 Brake Discs > > > > Jamie, Go get a caliper press at Autozone for about $5. You do not need to > > remove the calipers from the brake line just to change the pads. There are > > two bolts holding them on(check Bentley for your van year). Just loosen the > > bolts(and replace the boots with the hardware kit that I'm sure you bought). > > And then press the piston backwards with your new press from Autozone and > > slip the new pads in. > > Not a pro but just did this last month. > > Michael in San Antonio > > 91GL Weekender AT 2.1L 'Gringo' > > 73 Beetle > > > > > > On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Jamie Fitterer > > <fittdog8848@hotmail.com>wrote: > > > > > Hi all, > > > > > > > > > > > > I am just starting to replace the front discs, pads and bearings. I am > > > wondering what is the best way to get the hub cover off? I do not have > > the > > > special VW tools listed within the bentley and was looking for some > > > suggestions. Also, I am wondering if I will have to disconnect the > > caliper > > > from the line to be able to remove the Brake Disc? It seems that there > > > would not be enough room with that little metal line to the caliper. > > Anyone > > > in Bozeman, MT able to swing by and help a beginner mechanic LOL. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >