Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:18:40 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: A little more on Cooling problems..inline vw in vanagon
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Hey Don ... sounds like you have a plan now ... that should get you where you want to be ... a running no-cooling-system issues van.

of course pressure testing the head gasket from the pressure bottle doesn't get anywhere near the pressure that the combustion process can produce .....so testing 'pressure in' isn't anywhere near what 'pressure out' from the combustion process would be.

I'm funny I guess. I never even think about how long a job will take. It takes what it takes. and ....I always find so many other things that need attention, that 'one broken thing' almost becomes incidental in the entire process.

here's a simple little trick... and this is an example too. of why a '4 hour head gasket change' job takes me longer... leak test the vales with a thin fluid ...like gasoline. the simplest way on your engine is invert the head ... on cylinders that have the valve closed, fill the combustion chambers in the head with gasoline.. and see how long it takes for the gas to leak past the valves. If they are perfectly sealing .....it'll hold overnight, or until the gas evoporates. You find one where the gas leaks out in say .......an hour .. you know a valve is leaking there. if you take those valves out ...you see roughness on the exhaust valve faces usually. ( then you might get into valve job or hand-lapping at the low end, .....which all takes time of course. )

I also leak test them by putting gas in the exhaust or intake ports ...easy on a waterboxer head. On your head you'd have to have manifolds off .....and cam out if you wanted all the valves closed at once, for the test.

I have a 'real' straight edge for checking cylinder head straightness. It's pretty precise. I would not expect a carpenter's square to be very accurate. Typically when you take a head to a machinist they like to machine the surface flat .. though you can only do that so many times, so it's not always 'the right thing to do' ..it 'depends.'

and of course....the time thing ... if you want the head surfaced....then manifolds have to come off .. and sometimes things are a little rusted etc......there goes that 'half day job' thing.

The qualit and thoroughness of the job is more important than the shortness of time period that the job took in my world.

I see someone talk about how fast they can rip an engine out of a vanagon ... I'm like .......what is the point of that ? I want to hear about how carefully without damaging anything someone can remove an engine , and they about how well they fix all the little rusted/loose/left off/damaged/funky previous work/ even the flat wrong parts used....etc. etc.

most of my '4 hour jobs' take way, way longer than that. The vans are 20+ years old. There is often a LOT that needs attention to make things really right again .. not that your personal van isn't in top notch condition throughout, of course . :-)

the plastic fuel rail on your engine ...they seem to work, but that always looked a little shakey to me ..... must be darn good plastic, but still..... a metal part there would be great.

scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:34 AM Subject: A little more on Cooling problems..inline vw in vanagon