Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:43:59 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Hose clamps..
Comments: To: Tom Hargrave <thargrav@hiwaay.net>

At 03:19 AM 4/22/2010, Tom Hargrave wrote: >Stainless is made corrosion resistant by a thin oxidation layer on the >surface of the metal called passivation. Spot welding will destroy the oxide >layer protecting the SS from rust but it takes very little time, literally >seconds, for the weld area to re-passivate and protect the welded area from >corrosion.

It's a little more complicated than that. Stainless steel is subject (variously in different grades and different environmental conditions) to pitting corrosion, crevice corrosion, contact corrosion, fretting corrosion, stress corrosion cracking and intergranular corrosion.* Seawater or mixed seawater/air exposure is one of the more severe environments for many forms of s/s corrosion. In the case of welding, intergranular corrosion is the culprit. Quoting <http://corrosion-doctors.org/Forms-intergranular/intergranular.htm>:

>A classic example [of intergranular corrosion] is the sensitization >of stainless steels or weld decay. Chromium-rich grain boundary >precipitates lead to a local depletion of Cr immediately adjacent to >these precipitates, leaving these areas vulnerable to corrosive >attack in certain electrolytes.** Reheating a welded component >during multi-pass welding is a common cause of this problem. In >austenitic stainless steels, titanium or niobium can react with >carbon to form carbides in the heat affected zone (HAZ) causing a >specific type of intergranular corrosion known as knife-line attack. >These carbides build up next to the weld bead where they cannot >diffuse due to rapid cooling of the weld metal. The problem of >knife-line attack can be corrected by reheating the welded metal to >allow diffusion to occur.

* Some of these (fretting, pitting, crevice, contact) can be astonishingly rapid -- I have personally observed a s/s cooking pot about 1 mm thick go from apparently perfect to perforated (~2 mm hole, bigger on the inside) in a few days. Apart from fretting which is simply the continual removal of the passivating layer, I personally think that oxygen depletion in the corrosion zone is an important factor in these corrosion types

** Seawater or mixed seawater/air exposure is one of the more severe environments for many forms of s/s corrosion.

Yours, David