Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:45:10 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Water Cooler System Design Flaw Workaround?
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

well, that is very interesting about the phono needle. no wonder those grooves wore out !

and the phono needle is an example of something I find noteworthy and useful in Vanagon diagnostics....namely 'wherever there is an interface between something electrical or electronic, and something mechanical.........that's a weak spot. ' - like the sweeper arm in the AFM ( care to calculate the psi on that ? ! lol )

somehow ....with only 4 studs per cylinder with nuts at 37 ft lbs... it still does not seem like there is a lot of force involved on combustion sealing in waterboxer engines. and they do fail to work at times after all. but I get your point and calculations of course !

not talking about diesels here of course....but when I got a Mercedes 240D and had the head off... I think that head...........a cast iron head too... was held down with 20 studs with nuts on top of the studs. Looking at that ... and considering it usses a nice robust double row timing chain ... you just know 'no way is that going to blow, or leak, or let loose in any way, for a long, long time.

A hose blowing out is about all I could imagine keeping the car from running for the first at least 100,000 miles, maybe up to 150K miles.

I value Durabilty very highly in any mechanical device. Sheer durability , longevity, and reliability . ...those are the design goals to me.

and funny thing about CD audio and DVD discs ....right away you go......fantastic sound, and no physical contact ..hot dog ! and yet...somehow those discs mess up too. The chip though ....those seem bacially without fault, more or less. And they get better all the time. And what a chip can do ......which is the equivlant of what a 60's era computer needed a whole room , or several to do ... man is that a miracle or what ! Can't even imagine how they do that . And darn durable too. It won't be too long before chips are embedded in people's brains ...or wait ! ...maybe they already are some and we don't know it !

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@attglobal.net> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 2:25 PM Subject: Re: Water Cooler System Design Flaw Workaround?