Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Apr 2010 00:19:03 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power steering rack leak
Comments: To: Gregory Smith <gfs@GREGORYFSMITH.COM>

The power steering reservoir has a replaceable filter in it. Replace it.

Synthetic ATF will last longer, work better in winter. VW changed the spec from ATF to the fluid used in the Audi's for improved winter operation. Again the synthetic ATF is a lower cost alternative.

Dennis

Hi Jack (and list),

My plan exactly, in fact I have the reman rack in the garage now, it came with new boots and inner tie rods from my local CarQuest. Slightly better price than our list vendors and no shipping (sorry volks).

And I need an alignment anyway.

My only concern is that there may be debris in the lines that could damage the new rack, they include a note about checking for metallic particles in the fluid and if present that you need to replace the pump. I guess I'll see what I find. Thanks for the encouragement!

And to the person who asked about fluid, I only use Dexron ATF in my power steering system, but a good thing to check.

Gregory Smith

Smith Design Studio Small Building Company Olympia, WA 360-239-0429 gregoryfsmith.com

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: RE: Power steering rack leak From: "Jack Reynaert" <jack007@comcast.net> Date: Wed, April 21, 2010 5:07 pm To: "'Gregory Smith'" <gfs@GREGORYFSMITH.COM>

Gregory, Same thing happened to me, just about, with my 84 Westy (which I've owned since 87), my PS line went bad, so replaced it, all was well, then 3 weeks later my rack took a dump! I think the clean fluid cleared out what ever crud was keeping my rack from leaking. I put in a new rack, easy job, and buttoned up everything in 1/2 a Saturday. Glad I did it! Just got a reman from the local foreign auto parts store (be sure to keep the line adaptors) don't turn your rack in for the core until you have the replacement installed. You will need an alignment when you are done. Get the rack with the new tie-rods, and then your front end will be good to go for a while. Jack R. 84 Westy Wolfie. N. of Detroit From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Gregory Smith Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2010 10:44 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Power steering rack leak

Hey listers... Just changed my power steering pump with a spare because it was leaking at the body seam, that was an easy fix. Suddenly my rack leaks like a sieve at both ends! Is this a result of the p/s fluid getting low from the other pump's leak? Any source for rebuild parts like seals and bushings? I can do a Lancia rack but I'm not sure where to start here. Thanks, Gregory Smith