Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:49:38 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Mirror replacement alternative: tightening (was Re: Truck
              Mirrors Installation - Pics Needed - Advice)
Comments: To: Chris S <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>

At 04:39 AM 4/28/2010, Chris S wrote: >You may also use a thin flat rubber washer inside that ball joint to >help keep the mirror in place. If you tighten the nut too much the >bolt will pull out of the ball joint. The rubber washer adds a bit of >friction and reduces the amount of required tightening.

On my '84 I bottomed out the spring and pulled the shank out of the casting; fixed it like Mr. Koerner did but used a roll pin or maybe the busted shank of an 1/8" drill rather than a dowel pin. Still had trouble with the mirrors blowing flat at speed, so I bought a set of aftermarket replacements from Bus Depot. Same problem, no cure. I worked with them for a while until it occurred to me to disassemble completely and compare them. It was obvious that the VW mechanism was much better than the aftermarket one; I did some fairly obvious maintenance on the originals -- sorry, can't remember in detail but it was to the joint itself -- and reinstalled them. Ten years later, still no problems whatsoever except that the housing was a bit weathered.

If you have to bottom out the spring, then the joint needs maintenance.

Yours, David