Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 May 2010 08:05:11 -0500
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cleaning Oily Gunge out of Cooling System
Comments: To: greentabe-vanagon@YAHOO.COM

Use cascade - about a tablespoon pre-dissolved in a cup of water.

I've done the cascade trick several times and it worked well.

Tom www.stir-plate.com

I sent this email to a co-worker the other day:

*** (start of message) ***

I have a Vanagon whose head gasket blew, allowing oil into the coolant. The gasket has been repaired but there's still lots of white oily goo stuff in the cooling system. Can you suggest a chemical that will

(1) Put the oily goo into solution (2) not foam (3) not be too harsh (corrosive) on the metal bits (4) not be too expensive?

I was thinking laundry soap but I'm a bit concerned about #3.

*** (end of message) ***

Here's his reply:

*** (start of reply) ***

The detergent idea seems fine – but I’d use laundry detergent meant for front-end loading machines (has an HE symbol on it) – they contain an antifoam agent. And just leaving it in for a little while to go –round and –round a few times might be OK. Laundry detergents can be a little corrosive – but not excessively. Or try something like Mr. Clean. It has anti-corrosion agents in it. Or maybe a bit of both!! While you’re at it, there’s some fluorescene tablets down in the basement to give it the right colour. AND - to help avoid it boiling over (as I’m assuming you’ll need to have the car warm so the thermo-thingy is open) – I’d add a bit of ethylene glycol. And to stop dogs from drinking your bucket of used stuff, add something a bit foul tasting – maybe some broccoli juice (trying to think of something that a dog will NOT eat is a bit challenging…).

So, your recipe (thus far) is:

Liquid laundry detergent (HE style) 3 jiggers Mr. Clean 1 gill (US) Fluorescene 1 tablet Ethylene glycol 1 quart Broccoli juice 3 quarts

Hope this cures all your ills and aches!

(P.S. I’d try starting with only the first two ingredients – maybe about 2 tablespoons into the coolant, run it a little while then flush thoroughly, then fill with regular coolant mix. If this doesn’t work, then try the next few as well?) And if it totally fouls up – I’m not a certified mechanic…

*** (end of reply) ***

tabe johnson/91mv