Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 May 2010 15:46:00 -0400
From:         B Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>
Subject:      Re: The coninuing distributer saga - LOOONG

Nope, you don’t have to remove the fuel injection parts to remove the distributer on my 1.9. Taking off the pressure sensor would make it easier but you can squeeze it out without doing that.

So what I am saying is he should have replaced the distributer, which is what I originally brought it in for, then checked to see if that solved the problem. I just think doing 3 things at once that are unrelated was kinda daring.

Thanks, Bryan

Loren,

I was speaking specifically to the fact that he stated he would have to remove some of the FI parts to replace the distributor.

If he had done each task separately then he would have to pull the FI parts, swap the distributor, re-install the FI parts and test. Then he would have to pull the FI parts again to replace the injectors. Also, he would pull it off and on the rack twice to test drive twice. And all along his "bill you" clock should be running.

So, the correct answer is to take care of multiple problems while he's in there and any good mechanic will let you know of these options.

Another way to look at this is - would you expect a mechanic doing your brake job to replace the shoes, test drive, then pull everything back apart to replace a wheel cylinder? I don't think so. He can't afford the time and you can't afford to pay him to work this way.

Tom www.stir-plate.com