Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 May 2010 22:22:38 -0500
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Found a timesert in the spark plug hole
Comments: To: VWBrain@AOL.COM

The fact that you found a time-sert in your engine tells me you have a problem & it's not the time-sert because time-serts are designed to lock in place once installed. I would be willing to bet that a fair percentage of list members have one or more time-serts or heli-coils in their engines. I know I've installed enough heli-coils over the years.

BTW, a lot of people will accuse the mechanic who installs a time-sert or heli-coil of damaging their engines when more often than not, it's the previous mechanic who over torqued the spark plug or fastener. The one who has to do the thread repair is usually suffering the consequences when he drags the damaged threads out with the fastener.

Tom www.stir-plate.com