Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 May 2010 21:49:10 -0700
From:         Andrew Martin <ramblinvan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Steering
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

I'm reading this thread thinking that I actually prefer my 87 Westy Weekender that does NOT have power steering over my 85 Westy that does.

I like "feel" of manual steering AND I like the holding the larger wheel; it's kinda like driving my ol' '70 bus. I added a "Wheelskins" a couple of weeks ago and wow!

Another plus of the 87's larger wheel is that I can see the speedo without tilting my head every few minutes to look under the top of the wheel as I am forced to do in my 85 Westy. This is also because the 85 Westy's seat swivel thickness raises the seating position and my 87 does not have seat swivels.

Then there's the additional working room in the engine compartment (no pump, no reservoir, hose and pipes), one less belt to deal with and carry in my "spares", perhaps a little more HP for the wheels, and one less potential fluid to leak.

Lots of reason to live without power steering.

Andrew Bainbridge Island WA