Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 May 2010 12:03:59 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 Oil Leak question
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

Please don't take this too harshly .. re Should this indeed be where the leak is coming from I assume it is just a small casket/o-ring - I suggested to him that he may as well just order a new switch and replace the whole thing since they are so inexpensive.

Do that if you want ..and the worst that will happen is that you'll have a spare OP switch .. and hopefully a high quality one. I just never think that's a very good way to proceed... think of what PART it could be, run out and get the part, THEN look at the engine .

chances that it's not 'that part' are high usually. Inspect and diagnose first.

yes, the 1.9 OP switch, the only one on a 1.9, is between the left side push rod tubes. I don't think one will leak there very much 'just sitting' though. Perhaps after first shut off .. but not continuously, I wouldn't think.

there is no gasket or o-ring. It just screws in. Some have a copper sealing washer ... it's more likely that it's not screwed in tightly enough than that sealing washer is leaking significantly.

not just a valve cover gasket ? or oil filter/seal ? ream main seal,. case split leak.

there is nothing like actually LOOKING at the engine of course,

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Lincoln" <magikvw@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 8:36 AM Subject: 1.9 Oil Leak question