Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 May 2010 17:23:48 -0500
From:         Steve Schwenk <steve@SYNCRO.ORG>
Subject:      New Design Vanagon Coil Springs

Hey! It's been a while.

I'm just about to head off to Syncro de Mayo, but wanted to send out a heads up before I go that I am coming out with a new set of Vanagon coil springs. I will be ordering the prototypes next week after weeks of design work with spring engineers.

It will take about a month to get the prototypes, then a couple of week for testing, and then final adjustments for the production run, which should be ready in July.

These springs will be made from new material that is significantly better than the steel alloy I had previously used and will not settle or sag. (There are only a few manufacturers that can wind this material at the thickness needed.) The design will get some minor tweaks as well.

However, our overall goal will remain the same: To deliver top-quality springs that are within VW specs in terms of ride-height and suspension travel (no pesky questionable extenders, etc.), but which are moderately stiffer for better handling and stability, and which are still suitable for the valving on shocks available for the Vanagon. They will be responsive and not too stiff. The ride height will be at the upper-end of stock, i.e. the tallest Vanagon spring VW made for the Vanagon. (You'll have to go to our competitor if you want the overdone wannabe syncro look and much stiffer spring rate ... which is too stiff for the valving on the shocks available out there.)

I would welcome any feedback or other comments on what people would like in new vanagon coil springs, or changes they would like to see from the prior design before I put in the order for the prototypes. Please send any comments by the end of this weekend. Also, I will be offering discounts to folks who have previously purchased springs from me. (We did our first run of vanagon springs in 2000.)

Thanks, and I'll see you out on the road!

Steve Schwenk www.syncro.org www.syncrodemayo.com

It's still not too late to come to SdM!