Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 May 2010 08:13:10 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fw: Solar panel mount
Comments: To: Arkady Mirvis <arkadymirvis@gmail.com>

When you measure the output of a solar panel you will find that their electrical production capacity is quite dependent on how they are oriented to the sun. Stationary mounts are a significant compromise to solar panel output. With a fixed mounted panel your 'optimal' electrical production is delivered, at best, for a few hours per day. The rest of the daylight hours, the stationary panel is at an oblique and ineffective angle to the sun's rays...it's electrical production is low, compared to an optimally aimed panel. When you see hard-mounted solar panels, you will notice they are often quite large (numerous panels in series) in order to meet electrical needs. This is because most of every day they aren't producing at anywhere near their optimal capacity. Most of the big motorhomes with solar have multiple large panels that mount on their roofs and have some kind of 'struts' to allow them to be angled up to near 45degrees..very few have the capacity to 'follow the sun' across the sky as the day passes, so they have multiple panels to make up the electrical shortfall. I see some RVs that drive around with their solar array 'deployed' at an angle, but on a vanagon, that would probably be impractical. So, if you plan on always parking in direct sunlight with you van oriented in a certain direction, you can get satisfactory production from your solar panels. But you may need more panels ($) to 'keep up' due to poor solar exposure much of the day. I've been solar for many years. I started with one small (maybe 12"x30" panel, on a long power lead that plugs right into my 12v coach battery system. Recently we've increased our electrical consumption so now we also have a larger panel (about 3'X3' with a solid state controller right on the rear surface) I won't quote a bunch of numbers. I still just use my small panel for the vanagon. Most of the time it keeps up fine in that vehicle.. The larger one is also 'portable' in that it is connected with a longer 'lamp cord' to whatever system needs power...usually the coach battery circuit. My first action every AM (or the last at night, if I remember) is to turn the panel to the East to catch the morning sun. During the day, the panel gets moved as required. Depending on your campsite, a longish cord and a movable panel is often the only way to get solar at all.

I've described my 'storage system' in another post...long post..a pic would be better but that is not possible. Briefly what I've done is use some 1/4" plywood and piano hinges to configure the panel and its' covers into a 'book-like' configuration. Take a hardback printed book (remember those?) with a book jacket and unfold it on a table...you will get the idea. When 'deployed' I have an equal lateral triangle structure..120 degrees..two plywood sides and the solar panel. When closed, a 'book' with the solar panel in place of the fly leaf of the book jacket. The cord coils up inside.

Works for me..though on windy days and nights I have to remember to weight it down or fold it up. Mine travels under the rear pad, flat on the engine decklid.

Don Hanson