Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 May 2010 10:26:04 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Shift Components - Replace or not...
Comments: To: Jim Johnston <inmytree1@GMAIL.COM>

Jim,

It's a good idea to replace all those parts that comprise the lower end of the shifter lever. The plastic parts, particularly. You will find shifting much nicer and easier if you do. However - there is one thing that most people miss when doing this. With the spare tire removed, you have to go under the van to see a little box hanging down that the end of the shifter and shifter shaft fit into. If you remove that box and look inside, you will see two sort of keyways in the box. One is made onto the box, the other is screwed to the box. That keyway with the screws holding it to the box is something that should be replaced. It is part of the mechanism that helps hold the shifter shaft to the rear of the van in a way that all that mechanism can work from front to back and shift through those gears. I saw this little gizmo on Ken Wilfords website - Vanagain.com - and I'm sure others may have it as well. I just went completely through my shifting system not long ago and encountered this little gizzy. A shifter system overhaul is a good thing! Makes things nice once again.

One other thing - while you are under there - check where you accelerator pedal arm goes through the floor. This is a place where heavy rust can occur and it will completely rot though if you don't take care of it.

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 5/6/2010 8:11 AM, Jim Johnston wrote: > Hello all, > > We are talking about my 4 Speed 1991 Vanagon GL with a 2.2 Subie located in > Wilmington, NC. > > My shifter locked up last week. I tracked the issue to a broken ball on > Shift Lever. I'm in process of ordering a replacement and wondered "since > I'm there" should I replace the Selector Lever. Picture of the part I'm > talking about: > > http://picasaweb.google.com/inmytree1/SelectorLeverVanagon#5468141455866530002 > > I also pulled the middle shift bushing (the one behind the gas tank) and it > looked ok, no cracks or anything, but it was fairly pliable. Should that > bushing be really super hard, or is a bit of movement normal? (I did read > the recent long thread about that bushing, but that never really had any > comment on this question). > > > Jim > Wilmington, NC > > >