Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 May 2010 10:41:07 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: California Bienniel Inspections 86-later

Detlev,

I suspect you are correct. My smog check technician said the same thing happened to the Honda guys. I always have to take my girlfriend's Honda Civic to a Test Only facility.

It was in the cards. Lawmakers have been threatening diesel inspections for a long time. Now that it is here, I'll bet this is only the beginning. I'm glad this came up before I decided to try a Zetec install in my 88 Doka which is still registered as a diesel.

In a sidenote, it seems to me that 1985-earlier Vanagons should now be more desireable

Sent from my mobile device

On May 5, 2010, at 10:40 PM, Detlev Hanschke wrote: > > Hi Ben,and Diesel owner. > Here is the scoop. > The DMV for years now pulls Diesel vehicles in to see if they are > still Diesel (no tail pipe ,just visual) > New law : Since 01/01/2010 all Vehicle 1998 and younger will need to > have to go through a Smog test. > NO TAIL PIPE TEST. > It is mainly a VISUAL inspection.Done at time of Registration renewal. > New to me is that a Diesel(or not any more Diesel) has to go through > a inspection. > Btw. The new Diesel emission inspection is geared to Chip tuner - > Veggie converter and every one else who try to get more power and > more smoke out of there Diesel engines. So the inspection is to find > Vehicles they smoke and/or have alteration. > > > So thanks to the extrem : I CAN BLOW OUT BLACK SMOKE AND DON'T CARE > (Ford/ Chevy/ Dodge Pick Up,jacked up big tires and so on) people > we have this inspection. > JUST MY THOUGHT > > From: BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> > Sent: Wed, May 5, 2010 10:04:29 AM > Subject: Re: California Bienniel Inspections 86-later > > Hi Peter, > > I knew about new inspections on newer diesels. I didn't know until > yesterday that the new law reaches all the way back to 1986. Have not > spoken with a smog check techinician yet. The woman at the San Mateo > Office of DMV said she was told it was a simple tailpipe test. > "Tailpipe"?! You might be right. Maybe a baseline is being > established. For now. No doubt the program is going to snag a few > scofflaws who converted from diesel to gas. > > Cheers, > > BenT > Sent from my mobile device > > On May 5, 2010, at 6:54 AM, peter shaw wrote: > > > > Ben, > > > > I heard about this some time ago from an old friend and vw shop > > owner, and sure enough my wife's 2005 tdi jetta needs to be smogged > > (is that a word?) this year. > > > > I dont know if they are looking at any particular levels or just > > testing to see what the levels are and collecting baseline data. > > > > peter